Why the 80/20 Rule Is the Gold Standard of Dietary Balance
by Lauren Mazzo, Shape.com
This week, we found a great article about the 80/20 diet on Shape.com. With the Holidays right around the corner, this plan for lifelong dietary balance may be the best fit for avoiding unwanted weight gain and staying healthy. Click the image below for the full article or scroll down for some of the main points!
About the 80/20 Rule:
- The 80/20 rule is a way of eating for life. Eat clean, whole foods for 80% of your calories and treat yourself for the remaining 20%.
- It’s a great way to enjoy foods you love, while keeping your weight in check!
- Pros: The 80/20 diet should be a lifelong way of eating. You can eat healthy most of the time and then allow yourself to indulge a few treats without feeling guilty.
- Cons: It isn’t the best diet for weight-loss. This approach is best for maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle.
Tips for successfully implementing the 80/20 rule:
- Practice moderation and portion control: Indulgences should be a reasonable portion!
- Keep in mind: Every meal is an opportunity to nourish your body. Be mindful of the foods you eat and make every bite count by choosing healthy sources of fiber, vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, and proteins.
- Learn to love the 80%: If you learn to love the 80% (healthy foods), you wont be dying for the 20% (treats). Think of the 20% as a reward or wiggle room to just live your life.